When women have a urinary problemtheir first thought is to often visit their gynecologist. It’s understandable, and while a gynecologist might be able to give a little direction, they won’t be able to properly diagnose or treat you.  

Instead, you’ll want to go to someone who specialized in urinary and bladder issues: 

A urologist.  

What’s the Difference? 

The sex organs and urinary tract have a lot of overlap in the human body. Because of this, it can be confusing to know which specialist to see when something is going wrong in that area. It helps to know the distinction between the two professions. 

A gynecologist (GYN) is someone who specializes in female reproductive organs. They deal with a wide variety of situations, from fertility to STIs to hormone disorders and more. 

A urologist, on the other hand, deals specifically with the urinary system. That includes your bladder, urinary tract, and kidneys. Generally, if you’re dealing with issues involving your urine, whether it’s an overactive bladder, incontinence, blood in urine, or something else, you should go straight to a urologist.  

Urinary Issues Facing Women 

Women are susceptible to many of the same urological problems as men, including UTIs, kidney stones, hydronephrosis, and more. However, there are also conditions unique to women, such as a pelvic organ prolapse.  

Additionally, women have a shorter urinary tract, making them more vulnerable to UTIs. 

Urinary issues sometimes occur after the birth of a child due to shifting in the pelvic muscles. Whether there seems to be an obvious cause or not, it’s important to have urinary issues checked out immediately. Irregular urinary patterns and symptoms could be signs of a serious condition. 

Even if the condition is less serious, it ultimately affects your quality of life, and you need to have it treated. For all of your urology needs in Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding area, contact Urology Specialists of Ohio today!